Radial Flow Chromatography
What is Radial Flow Chromatography?
Radial Flow Chromatography is a technology that Sepragen invented over 30 years ago, and it is still widely used in the Bioprocessing community. The concept is very simple, to improve the " throughput" of Chromatographic steps you need to develop a means that uses more surface area of the column along with a short bed depth.
Radial Flow Columns provide an elegant, simple and proven way to scale up sample volumes and flow rates in small diameter (Small footprint) columns. The Radial Flow Columns, termed Superflo®, can be used with any Ion Exchange, Affinity & Hydrophobic Interaction Chromatographic resin.
Some of the problems with conventional column scale up are:
- Slow flow rates and large cycle times
- Greater resin usage for same productivity
- Bigger columns and Large Footprint
- Performance compromise on scale up
- Packing is unwieldy and requires investment in infrastructure
- High Purification costs
RFC (Radial Flow Chromatography) Columns enable:
- Shorter cycle times for Protein A, IEX, Affinity and HIC steps
- Small Footprint
- 4 – 10 X higher flow rates per sq m
- Low operating pressures
- Easy, Rapid, Consistent slurry packing and unpacking
- Superior HETP, better recovery and lower pool volume
- Rapid linear scale-up
- Reduction of purification costs
Radial Flow Columns
Radial Flow Columns have a higher sample application area than conventional axial columns.
- For the same linear velocity, the volumetric flow-rate is thus much higher
- Since the desired volume can be achieved without going wider, the footprint is smaller
- Small bed heights can be achieved within an annular configuration
- Packing columns is easier and more manageable
To learn more about Radial Flow Chromatography fill in the form below
WHAT OUR CLIENTS ARE SAYING
"This is a personal letter of recommendation for Sepragen Corporation. We have purchased 6 columns ranging from 10lt to 200lt from Sepragen, and the craftsmanship, service and quality has been excellent. They have always been willing to go the extra mile to help and support us through our startup and maintenance activities until we are successful. Sepragen really puts their customers first."
"At Cohesion we have used a QuantaSep 1000 as a workhorse in both manufacturing and process development. We are quite satisfied with its performance. In our hands the QuantaSep has been a reliable instrument that is also easy to use and maintain. The flow rate range of the 1000 matched out commercial requirement for one process and pilot scale for another. It fits well into smaller processing spaces (critical when working in Palo Alto). Again, we have been happy with our QuantaSep 1000 and would be willing to discuss our experience with others"
Lou Sehl, Ph. D.
Senior Scientist and Team Leader
"I have been using Sepragens purification technologies for past 15 years. The Radial flow columns are the easiest to use with no back pressures, we have all the size columns from 25 ml, 50 ml, 100 ml, 200 ml and 500 ml and use them regularly for all projects. We also have the Quantasep 100 and 1000. We also tested their disposable flow path system to generate low endotoxin protein and it worked perfectly for our needs. Their systems are much cheaper compared to other similar chromatography equipment and they have way better technology."
"The efficiency of these products, in our hands, provides a significant advantage over other purification equipment we have evaluated for the following reasons:
- The QuantaSep software is easy to use and train.
- The QuantaSep allows us to reduce our standard direct hours, thus reduce our projected costs, by allowing a production chemist to perform multiple purification tasks simultaneously. This system eliminates the need to "baby-sit" all the individual purification steps. With reduced labor costs, the return on investment is easily less than two years for the QuantaSeps.
- This programmable system insures lot-to-lot consistency, resulting in consistent elution profiles vs. the built in variability with more manual operations. A critical advantage for a GMP production process.
- And finally, one unique advantage of this system is its versatility. We can run both our small and large volume production (5 liter to 200 liter) runs with the change over feature. No other systems we have investigated have that volume flexibility."
Manager, Antibody Manufacturing
"...Neose Technologies, Inc. has purchased equipment from Sepragen Corporation for installation in a pilot facility. The equipment included a chromatography pumping skid and some radial flow columns. This equipment has been received and installed and is performing up to our expectations.
"The quality of the components and that of the workmanship used in the fabrication chromatography skid is of top quality and the unit was delivered on schedule. The radial flow columns were fabricated and delivered ahead of schedule and their performance is excellent. A prompt and comprehensive installation service was provided on site to commission these units."
Director of Manufacturing Operations
"At our company we have a need to produce purified protein at approximately the 1 gram scale, for use in process development experiments. We have developed a purification process that uses Sepragen's QuantaSep automated chromatography system and radial flow columns (250 ml and 100 ml scale). Using the automated features of the QuantaSep, our process can be completed during a normal 8 hour day, from disruption of the cell cake through both chromatography steps.
"I feel that there are several aspects of the QuantaSep that are advantageous relative to competitive products. 1) We can run at flow rates of up to 100 ml/min in our version of the system, and still be at low pressure. This allows us to use radial flow columns and means that we can complete our process more rapidly than might otherwise be true. Secondly, the software is very straightforward; method editing is easy to master and to remember, even for researchers who aren't using the system frequently. The graphical display also makes it very easy monitor the system, and to run it in manual mode, which is particularly useful during column washing and equilibration. The system has plenty of flexibility, allowing users to perform all of the usual chromatography protocols. The air detection system not only protects the columns, but allows us to use all of our column loads. Finally, I think that the simplicity of the design of the liquid flow path allows the user to easily diagnose any leaks or other problems that might occur.
"We are quite happy with [the QuantaSep's] performance and reliability. It does the job it was designed to do. I can recommend it to anyone seeking an automated chromatography system."